I’m trying to be less…

I'm trying to be less panicked about being behind on work, and when I'm watching the kids, spend some of the time just doing things with them. Which, frankly, makes them happier and makes me happier too.

Yesterday, I watched them in the morning for a while, doing puzzles with Kavi. If you help with the outside edge of a big 24-piece puzzle, she can do the inside all by herself, which is exciting. Then, when they started to get restless, I packed them up and took them to the library. (The Oak Park library is amazingly good, and only six blocks from our house.) We hung out in the playroom with toys for a while (it has a door that closes), and I browsed a magazine while they played. Then at 10, we went to story hour and had donuts afterwards. The only negative note was Kavi starting to have a meltdown when I told her she'd had enough donuts. I had to pick her up and carry her out of the room, which was slightly embarrassing. Oh well -- if I take her more often, she'll learn how to behave. It's more my fault than hers, I'm afraid.

In the afternoon, hung out at home, did some cleaning with Kev. Then in the evening, everyone was restless again, so we went to Borders, got snacks, hung out downstairs in the kids' area, which also has a bunch of toys. They liked that. Then Cosi for dinner -- I had a Bombay chicken salad that was okay (still trying to cut back on carbs) and Kavi had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, which she was very excited about -- at home, we've been given her straight peanut butter sandwiches, and she was astonished to discover the magic of jelly. I felt a little guilty that we've been depriving her of jelly all these months. Ah well.

All in all, a nice day, even if I got almost nothing done. We did get through most of the dishes, and the pantry is cleaned out and usable again. Oh, and I finished my left Lovisa armwarmer when the children went to bed for the night. That's progress! It's a little tight around the forearm; I guess I have some muscles there. And a little tighter still in the colorwork section. But hopefully blocking will fix it. If not, it might have to become a gift for one of my sisters; I think their arms are thinner than mine.

This morning, I took the kids to the park and took some photos (will put up soon, separate entry). Soon, stained glass class (I start cutting the glass for the foyer window today), then back home to watch the kids some more while Kev gets a little work done. In the evening, I'm performing at Voices of Resistance, 6 p.m., 4544 N. Lincoln Ave. If you're local, hope to see you there! It's always a fun show.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *