Home Improvement: Sewing & Roofing

Little sewing project this morning. I had one leftover piece of this fabric, and many months ago, I hemmed it and hung it as a curtain. But it turned out that it wasn’t that functional — it was just barely wide enough, and in order to be able to pull the single panel open, I had to hang the curtain rings inside the brackets up top (making big gaps at the edges).

Double panels would work better, because then I could put one curtain ring outside each bracket on the edge, and then pull them open from the center. There’s a reason curtains are typically designed in two panels!

So, simple enough to cut it down the middle to make two curtains, but then once hemmed, it would have even less fabric, and there’d be a big gap in the center (or on the edges) — annoying. So I wanted to add something to fill in the gap a bit.

I thought about adding a border of some kind — a strip of dark velvet or some such, for example. But then I decided to have a little fun with it, and went for bobbles instead. Cut down the center, double-folded and ironed down for inner hem, sewed bobbles down.

I’m probably still going to mess with it more at some point, because it’s still short, and that bugs me. Probably a velvet border at the bottom, giving it a little additional weight so it’ll hang even better. Maybe dark gold velvet? And I *could* add more creamy bobbles on the outer edges, which would help to fill in the slight gap there; I have plenty of trim left. I think that would make it all look more finished too.

Thoughts welcome!

But regardless — functionality improved, which was the main point — it’s much easier to go in and out of the workout room now, while still blocking the view of all the machines when they’re not in use. Better.

Nice to have a little time in summer to work on totally unimportant home improvement projects.

And hey, they finished the roof yesterday, huzzah! They found huge holes in the topmost part — they think there were raccoons, and that’s what caused the big leak. So, all patched with new wood and waterproofing, and hopefully it’ll last another 20-30 years now.

We used A.J. Roofing, and they were fine to work with. Total cost, $21,700 — they had to spend $700 in wood and additional labor for roof patching, over the initial estimate.

Progress all around. 🙂

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *