It's spring, and I'm tired of being a slug. Slugs are slimy, and dry up when salted, and I like salt. No slug for me! So, here's a quick plan to fix that, hopefully without making myself crazy with diet / weight mentally unhealthy obsessiveness. Yes, I'd like to look great when I'm wearing a sari for Sharmi's wedding in October. But no, I don't want to count calories again and pay that much mental attention to every morsel that goes into my mouth -- it makes me nuts, and it's not worth it.
- exercise a little every day -- try to find exercise that I find enjoyable, like long walks with Kavi and Ellie, biking on beautiful days, swimming slowly (because I can't swim fast or well), dancing, martial arts, yoga, competitive sports/games -- hey, this is a pretty long list, weird
- eat at least one vegetable a day, ideally a green one (you'd think this wouldn't be hard, but I can easily go through a whole day on bread and cheese)
- only eat meat at one meal a day -- this is part of a larger plan to eventually only eat meat 2-3 days a week, or even less frequently. I don't think I'm ever going to be willing to give it up entirely, because I love it so, but for the health of the planet and myself, I can try to cut back
- skip dessert -- unless I really want it. :-)
- don't beat myself up if I miss a day or two; remember that every bit of exercise / healthy eating helps
To that end -- today, I signed us up for a family membership at my local YMCA. (Kavi can take swim classes with me there this summer, and they have babysitting if Kevin and I both want to go and exercise at the same time.) At $69/month for the whole family, it's a lot cheaper than the other gyms around here. I spent a half hour swimming, and did 11 laps, which is a quarter-mile. No, I'm not going to lose a ton of weight with this level of exertion -- but I enjoyed the swimming, and I left feeling great, and hopefully if I keep this sort of thing up, within a month I'll be able to climb a flight of stairs again without getting out of breath. We'll see how it goes.
Okay -- off to make a salad! (With pear and blue cheese and candied walnuts and pomegranate dressing, yum. :-)