All of this by way of indicating a brief shock of cognitive dissonance at reading "Mary Anne Akka" this morning, especially in regards to an erotica story. :-)
I'm still pleased at having written that story. In retrospect, I think it's probably a little clunkier than it needs to be -- I pretty much just wrote out everything, and I think it could've been more subtle. Also more beautiful in language. But the gist of the story is there, what I wanted to get across, and I do like the way the characters are sort of all going through the same thing, in really different ways. That was probably the core idea of the story -- that, and the experience of being in the ocean at Alex's.
I might work on it more today, but tomorrow I leave for three weeks (for WorldCon, visiting friends, and running the Oregon workshop). Which means that today is get-everything-done day. Which means a list:
- finish all collages that are going to be finished in time
- sign all the books and collages
- try to attach business cards to all of them
- be sure they're all entered, with prices, in the ConJose online control sheet
- go downtown and return the duvet cover I decided I didn't like
- buy a pair of gold sandals to wear with my sari (it's traditional)
- if I'm very good at getting all that done promptly, maybe reward myself with a manicure at the beauty salon that's opened up downstairs
- try on clothes, see what fits and looks good, pack them
- pack everything else, except the electronics which'll be packed tomorrow
- pack all the SH-related stuff, plus copies of Wet and promotional materials
- pack some exam list reading
- do a final clean-up, get the stuff Kev won't eat out of the fridge, etc.
- snuggle with Kevin
I was also supposed to go buy Karen a carpet today. But my damn car isn't ready yet, for reasons that are just too irritating to go into. Hopefully tomorrow. If it's not ready tomorrow, then I'll see if I can wheedle Kevin into helping me pick it up. I don't leave for the airport until 2:30, so there should be plenty of time for carpet-buying tomorrow (and whatever else I don't get done today, really).