Mary Anne Tries to Sew a Top, Part 6

I forgot to mention, I tried it on before I sewed up the side seams, and it was definitely way too big. I cut it down to a 12/14 (adjusting in various places), periodically trying it on and holding it together at the sides, trying to make sure I was leaving enough seam allowance.

I didn’t want to make it too fitted, since cotton lawn isn’t a stretchy material, and the pattern doesn’t tell me how to add a zipper, so I had to be sure I could pull the finished top comfortably over my head. But I was going for a loose, breezy look, and I think I got there in the end.

I still don’t know how I read the measurements wrong initially — oh well. But I have a pattern for this top now, in my actual current size, and I think now that I’ve been through it once, I could whip out another one in 2-3 hours. Which isn’t any kind of cost-effective, given the value of my time, even if the fabric only costs $24. 🙂

But it was a fun, satisfying creative project, and I learned some new sewing skills, and it was really nice having enough free time this weekend to play with a project. I’ve been running really busy for a long time, and it just feels lovely, having the leisure to take this on.

I think I’ll actually wear it too! It came out cuter than I thought it would. My design skills are improving, I think, very slowly. There’s still a huge gap between where I am with fabric design and where I’d like to be, but you know, I’ve only been doing this for a year or so, it’s okay if it takes me a while…

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.