Cancer log 6: I know…

Cancer log 6:

I know there's been a flurry of these; it'll slow down soon. Pent-up energy from needing to be quiet for a bit. I'm about to go get on a plane and may be mostly offline for the next few days at a baby shower (babies, yay!), but wanted to do a quick recap of today's MRI.

So, this was not quite as much fun as I'd hoped. At first, it was straightforward enough -- strip to socks and undies, put on a robe. Wait around 'till she was ready for me. I found myself somewhat anxious, for no good reason. And then she reminded me that I was getting an MRI with contrast, which meant needle poking -- she had to put an IV line in for the contrast dye. Ugh. I did a bunch of IVs during the pregnancy, and I can't say I loved them (although sometimes, when they were giving me fluids, they did actually make me feel better). The MRI nurse was not so great at inserting it, so there was a good minute of stinging poking about -- I've had way better. Ah well.

Afterwards, I felt a bit shaky -- I get dizzy sometimes when I do blood draws and other needle stick things, and have even fainted a few times. I've gotten better at managing it so as not to faint -- lots of deep breathing really helps, and thanks again to my advisor Katie Coles who ran into me in the halls before my doctoral exams, where I was panicking, and quickly talked me through deep breathing; it has been useful many a time since. Still, I felt kind of woozy when I lay down. I figured I'd being lying down for forty-five minutes, though, so I should recover quickly.

Instead, I felt cold and shaky for quite a while. The process of getting into the machine was less than dignified; after putting in your ear plugs, you have to basically crawl up onto a bed and then lie down with your breasts hanging down through holes in the bed. Then there's a fair bit of readjusting to try to get as comfortable as possible (because you're really not supposed to move for the next forty-five minutes, or you'll get blurry images), and the tech moves your breasts around a bunch and wedges them into fixed place. You slide into the machine, and if you're claustrophobic, I'd recommend just keeping your eyes closed.

Eventually, I warmed up -- not sure why. I got drowsy inside the machine, because I didn't sleep well last night, but actual sleep was impossible because there were frequent loud noises -- and they varied, so it wasn't as if you could get used to the pattern of them. It felt like being inside a huge old school copy machine, actually. A piece of the machinery, and a faulty one at that. You're the thing causing the jam.

In retrospect, I wished I'd asked her if I could move other bits of me. Would wiggling my toes be okay? What about my fingers? Could there be stretching breaks, so I wouldn't get pins-and-needles? It's all mild discomfort, but it was annoying. And perhaps because I was at a not-very-high-end hospital (I have HMO insurance), there was no music playing, which really seems like a bad choice. It would have helped a LOT to have music in the background to focus on.

So, woozy from start to finish, and cold, and a stinging hand (she found a vein in my wrist eventually). MRI -- not the most fun ever. But also not actually horrible or anything. I won't be eager to repeat it again, but I'm enough of an experience junkie to be moderately okay with having gone through it once.

Results next week, and hopefully actual staging. Onward.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *