Would it be worthwhile being able to sleep one more adult? All of our siblings are married (or almost) at this point, so when family comes, I don't know that another single bed would be so helpful. But maybe friends visiting? There are a bunch of folks coming to town this September for Kevin's 40th birthday, for example -- we won't be in the house by then, of course. But that's an example. Writers who come for occasional writer retreats? Hordes of mathematicians?
The stinky couch is also a sleeper, full-size, and not miserably uncomfortable for sleeping on, although I don't think it's a dream of bliss either. But maybe with a mattress topper, it'd be fine for a night or two for a couple. I think Mirna and Gian slept on it okay. Maybe it's worth having it professionally cleaned, throwing a slipcover on it, and keeping it either in the attic playroom or the basement?
How much extra guest sleeping space does one family need??
I get a little freaked out when I think about how much furniture our house needs. This is what we don't have yet:
- Front parlor: chair, settee, coffee table, piano
- Dining room: six-to-eight chairs (ours are breaking and desperately need replacing), dining table (ours is battered and the wrong shape)
- Living room: small couch and chair and ottoman
- Library: two wingback chairs, ottoman, library table
- Master bedroom: king-size bed
- Playroom: small couch