Strong milky black tea steeped with cinnamon, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, accented with the bite of candied ginger, blended into a honeyed marshmallow.
3 packages unflavored gelatin
1/2 c. milky chai (see chai recipe)
1/2 c. water
3/4 c. white sugar
3/4 c. dark brown sugar
1/2 c. honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
butter (for greasing the pan)
2 T candied ginger, chopped fine
powdered (confectioner’s) sugar (about 1/2 c.)
1-2 T powdered cinnamon for topping
1. Empty gelatin packets into bowl of stand mixer (whisk attachment), with chai. Stir briefly to combine.
2. In a small saucepan (a bigger one will be heavy and hard to hold steadily at a later stage) combine water, both sugars, honey, and salt. Cover and cook over medium high heat for 4 minutes. Uncover and cook until the mixture reaches soft ball stage (240 degrees if you have a candy thermometer), approximately 8 minutes. Once the mixture reaches this temperature, immediately remove from heat; if it continues, it will swiftly turn into hard candy.
3. Turn mixer on low speed and, while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. (Be very careful with the sugar syrup, as it is scaldingly hot and will burn you badly if it gets on your skin.) Once you’ve added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high.
4. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes very thick and is lukewarm, approximately 12 minutes.
5. While it’s whipping, butter a large 9 x 12 pan. Prepare an oiled spatula.
6. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly (and swiftly) with the oiled spatula. Stir in chopped candied ginger.
7. Dust the top with enough of the powdered sugar to lightly cover and sprinkle with ground cinnamon. Reserve the rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
8. Turn onto a board, cut into squares and dust all sides of each marshmallow with the remaining powdered sugar, using additional if necessary. May be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks, or frozen.
Please follow and like us: