Savory Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes (3 lbs.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 T butter, divided
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 1/3 c. finely chopped walnuts
- 2 T soy sauce
- pinch of cayenne
2. In an ovenproof skillet, heat 1 T butter and vegetable oil. Add walnuts and saute for about 1 min., then add garlic and scallions and saute for another. Add sweet potatoes, stirring and tossing with other ingredients (will break up into chunks).
3. Stir in soy sauce and pepper. Remove from heat and smooth top of mixture with the back of a spoon. Dot with 1 T butter. (At this point, sweet potatoes can be cooled and refrigerated overnight; bring to room temperature before baking.)
4. Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 15-20 min., until golden. Serve warm. Serves 6-8.